We all love summers and the holidays it brings with us. Going to the beach, shopping, trying summer dresses we wait for all these for the whole year. But with summers, comes the sun tanning, which takes around a whole year to get off. So, to avoid this situation, sunscreen comes to your rescue.
Yes, applying sunscreen not only in summers but in every season helps to protect your skin from damage. It forms a protective barrier on the skin and protects it from harmful UVA and UVB rays. These days there are a lot of sunscreens in the market, but using the best sunscreen for face drugstore is very important in order to get all the benefits of sunscreen.
This blog is all about, how to choose the best sunscreen, and what are the other benefits of applying sunscreen. Check out the blog-
What is SPF?
SPF or Sun Protection Factor is a measure of how well the sunscreen will protect your skin from the harmful sun’s rays like UVA and UVB. So, you might have seen sunscreens with different SPFs on it. How to choose the best one for your skin? So, let’s understand the ways how SPF works-
If you just go out in the sun, and your skin burns quickly just after 10 minutes, then applying the sunscreen with SPF 15 will allow you to stay in the sun protected for approx. 150 minutes. Although no SPF can decide the duration, there it is recommended to always re-apply the sunscreen every two hours.
You should apply sunscreen properly on your skin so that the whole body is covered. Not applying sunscreen properly will provide you only the square root of protection from the sun’s harmful rays.
SPF 15- blocks 93% of UVB rays
SPF 30- blocks 97% of UVB rays
SPF 50- blocks 98% of UVB rays
Most dermatologists recommend using either SPF 15 or SPF 30 sunscreen.
Does Higher SPF mean Higher protection?
This is a myth, high SPF does not mean more protection. If you purchase a sunscreen with SPF 75 or more, they will be expensive but won’t offer great protection from the sun. Moreover, SPF 30 offers the best protection from harmful UV rays, and SPF higher than that will be the same in protection as SPF 30.
Benefits of Sunscreen
Why does everyone brag about wearing sunscreen in Summer? What are its benefits? To know the answers to these questions. Read ahead-
- Keeps complexion even- Using sunscreen on your face, helps to keep the complexion even. Sun’s harmful rays, not only damages the skin cells but also causes uneven skin tones. Applying sunscreen daily helps to keep the complexion even.
- Sun protection- This is the most common reason to apply sunscreen. Sunscreen gives broad-spectrum protection from the sun’s harmful UV rays. It minimizes the penetration of UV rays and forms a skin barrier to protect the skin from damage.
- Removes visible signs of aging- Sun’s rays cause dark spots, acne, and pigmentation. All these make our skin look dull and aged. Sunscreen not only protects them from UV rays but also removes the visible signs of aging.
- Reduces the risk of cancer- Sunscreen is very effective in reducing the risk of skin cancer. Sun’s rays cause many harmful and aggressive skin cancer. Applying a good sunscreen will give you protection from harmful skin cancer.
- Healthy skin- Applying a moisturizer hydrates the skin. Sunscreen keeps the overall skin healthy and soft. Essential proteins in the skin like keratin, get protected and secured when sunscreen is applied.
Guidelines to Buy Sunscreen:
We now know that sunscreen with SPF 30 is good and apart from protecting us from harmful sun rays, sunscreen has many other benefits. Now, how to buy the best sunscreen-
- Date of Manufacture- The fresher the sunscreen, the better will be its efficiency. The ingredients of sunscreen tend to break down, while they are on the shelf. Hence, always try to buy the freshest stock possible.
- A Good Brand- Buying a sunscreen of a good brand is necessary, as they are FDA regulated and also have very strict regulations for the skincare brand. Try buying a sunscreen of the US or European brand.
- Waterproof- The sunscreen you purchase must be waterproof and sweatproof because if you are going on a walk or going swimming, sunscreen is a must and it should also not get washed away.
- Choose a Creamy Sunscreen, instead of Spray- Spray and powdered sunscreen contain nanoparticles and are also mineral-based, they can easily enter the bloodstream and can cause harm to the health. Therefore, always choose a creamy sunscreen.
- SPF 30 or higher- We have already seen that sunscreen with SPF 30 offers 97% protection from sun rays. Any sunscreen with SPF 15 or more is a decent sunscreen.
- Contains Titanium Dioxide or Zinc Oxide- When buying a sunscreen, check for these ingredients. Both titanium dioxide or zinc oxide helps in the protection from UV rays. But they are also harmful to the skin, moreover, zinc oxide makes the skin look pale and ghostly. So try, to avoid these ingredients.
So, these are some of the ways in which you can buy the best sunscreen for yourself.